Wednesday, July 15, 2009

book report

So what have I been up to lately? Reading a ton and trying to soak up as much sun as possible. Have I taken up the challenge of working through the classics? Bah! You all know me a little better than that, I hope. I'm not about to slog through The Brothers Karamozov when there are other treasures at the local public library.

My summer reading recommendations:

Candy Girl, by Diablo Cody
The author (screenwriter for Juno) writes about her days stripping in the Twin Cities. Love the descriptions of her picking out her stripper togs. Stripper styling tips for all!

Escape, by Caroline Jessop
I blame my mother for my weird obsession with Mormons, especially the scary, fundamentalist, polygamist types. Jessop, a former polyg, describes her life as 1 of 5 wives to a man 40 years her senior. Gross! She had 8 kids by the time she was 35! Escapes after being married to this dude for 17 years!

Wishful Drinking, by Carrie Fischer
Princess Leia is fuuuuuucked up...and funny! Read all about it!

Gang Leader for a Day
, by Sudhir Venkatesh
An Indian-American sociologist spends 6 years hanging out with the Black Kings gang at the Robert Taylor housing project in Chicago (before they were torn down in an attempt to "redistribute the urban poor.") Kind of hate him because it seems like a calculated, ambitious move by someone trying to make a name for himself in academia, but super interesting nevertheless.

American Wife, by Curis Sittenfeld
A fictionalized version of Laura Bush's life. Still don't know how she could have married Dub, but I love to speculate about her motivation.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment