So here it is. My blog. As requested. If you are all wondering, the title of my blog was inspired by my grandmother. One of my favorite of her sayings.
So a couple of weeks ago I read Sloane Kettering's series of essays I Was Told There Would be Cake. Nothing too great, but there were some funny highlights. One of which was an essay about the fear single people have about dying unexpectedly when their apartment is messy and someone having to go through all their weird stuff. Basically the awful thought that all your loved ones are going to remember about you is that you is how dirty you were. It made me think about the cliches of being single and how, unfortunately, some of them ring true. Sometimes I feel like I gauge my life by Bridget Jones' Diary as in "oh my god, this is so pathetic. like something from BJD." I had one of those BJD moments the other day when I ate seaweed salad and popcorn for lunch. Although, in retrospect, one of the things I really like about being single is the freedom to eat weird ass stuff. So suck it, Bridget.
In other news, the internet dating is, eh, going I guess. I know I'm picky, but god, if I say it once, I'll say it again. Details are important. I have rejected people for the following:
1. Posing for their profile picture flashing the deuce, aka, frat-boy, douchebag upside down peace, and spiky faux-hawk.
2. Mentioning their love of tai-chi (and putting up a profile picture that looked pretty sweaty)
3. Devoting the majority of their little "about me" write-up about their militant athiesm. I'm an athiest too, but there's more to me than that.
4. Posing shirtless with a cowboy hat
5. and finally, looking waaaay too much like my dad
I know it's cowardly, but when I reject, I always say it's because I found someone else. And I guess it's true. I found me. And somebody better be pretty awesome for me to give up all that quality time that me and myself have together. We have good times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Kate, I love it. So eloquently stated. I applaud you for doing this, both the writing and the dating...this is good practice for when you are an author!
ReplyDeleteI say you give those who meet #4 a chance.
Ha ha! Sarah
"I found me"...that's great!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I've had some that actually possed laying on the floor and said 'no'. I haven't sent any winks at all; I may never send any...ugh.
I love you Kate! Thanks for posting and sharing. SO true. I like "Me-time" as much as the next person and compromising that will be a challenge. That is, unless of course, you are the hot Asian cardiologist at work. And we took turns putting each other in place. Can you say, "fore-play"!!
ReplyDeleteBesides, choppin the deuce is sooo unorigional. A woman like you needs creativity and wit from your man. Bring it-Match men!